Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thing Update: Sandman

Just finished volume 3 of 11 ("Dream Country"). I incorrectly thought I had read this one but I had not. This volume is one of my favorites so far (also the most recent, which could influence that opinion). "Dream Country" includes the dark but powerful story of a writer who imprisons one of the muses; a story of cats dreaming of a revolution; and a wonderful telling of Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" in which the original players perform for an audience which includes the real Oberon, Titania, Puck and other faerie-kind known to appear in that particular play.

3 comments:

drspartacuss said...

When you say 'most recent' do you mean for you, or most recently published?

Is he publishing them all out of order, because it drives me nuts when authors do that....

Bradley said...

Bad English minor, I am... :-)

I should have written, "the one I read most recently"...that said, it is my understanding that the Sandman series could be read in any order, and from what I've read so far, I think that is probably true. Gaiman doesn't end each issue with a cliff-hanger or a to-be-continued, and he builds his Sandman universe through accumulation rather than through a linear story line.

Lu said...

Bradley et al, here's what I'm saving up for (sorry if the link's messed up--I don't know how to use blogger's interface very well yet):

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Sandman-Vol-1/dp/1401210821/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/105-6353360-2631625?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1182536118&sr=8-3