Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thing Described: Perform a clean install on my computer

My poor laptop is showing its age (about 3 years). I have to carefully watch that it doesn't over-heat. The CD-burner no longer works. It has memory-full problems, and sometimes the wireless access gives me fits. What I really need to do, is start over with a clean install. What a pain though. First I will need to back up all my important files (made more difficult since the CD-burner stopped working and I lost my USB flash drive). Then I will need to wipe the hard drive clean. Next will be the long arduous process of reinstalling Windows and everything else. And finally, all my important files will need to be transferred back. I know my computer will run better, but I have been stalling due to the many hours it will take to complete.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAH! I am in the process of doing this right now. Well, I am in the "backing up the important files" stage (Which I hate!).Probably as far as I will get tonight. One fortunate thing, since I'm using a Mac, the actual reinstall will take all of about 20 minutes. and probably another 20 to get the updates.

I wish you much luck in your venture. It is a necessary evil though.

Bradley said...

Someday I'll switch to a MAC...someday...

scotru said...

Sadness and woe. If you've got much data forget the flash drive and buy a USB hard drive. 120gb should be under $100. If you've got USB 2.0 (can't remember on that laptop) then it should be fast.

Anonymous said...

I'll put your worries to rest. It took me a LONG time to reinstall my junk on my computer. (I'm still working on it.)

This is mostly due to the fact that I didn't do your typical install, but I pulled some of the "It just works" stuff out of my Mac. Basically I stripped out the languages and drivers I didn't need. This was after doing a complete zeroing of the data on my 120gig hard drive, getting all the updates, AND installing Windows via Boot Camp.

So really, to get this machine back up, I installed TWO operating systems AND jumped through some major hoops all for the clean, fresh, crisp peace of mind you get after doing it.

I'm pulling for you on this one! Maybe you should take the easy way out, say "screw the data" and just Fdisk. :^D